Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

TIME: "Transgender Men See Sexism From Both Sides"

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Very interesting article from TIME magazine: 

"Over the last three years, transgender awareness has exploded. From Orange is the New Black to Transparent, from Janet Mock to Caitlyn Jenner, America has a growing fascination with the lives of transgender people, most recently in light of recent debates over controversial bathroom laws. But the spotlight on trans issues has mostly been focused on transgender women, and transgender men have been largely left out of the narrative. ...

"Yet experiences of trans men can provide a unique window into how gender functions in American society. In the last few months, I’ve interviewed nearly two dozen trans men and activists about work, relationships and family. Over and over again, men who were raised and socialized as female described all the ways they were treated differently as soon as the world perceived them as male. They gained professional respect, but lost intimacy. They exuded authority, but caused fear. From courtrooms to playgrounds to prisons to train stations, at work and at home, with friends and alone, trans men reiterated how fundamentally different it is to experience the world as a man."

Transgender Men See Sexism From Both Sides

2 people like this

Posted

It's nice that TIME saw fit to give some face time to men.

Ironically, I find that the sexism is still blaringly obvious in that, the article highlights how society treats a person once they are perceived as male.   Just under the surface, no matter how progressive this society prefers to claim it is, men are still more important than women.  Makes me wonder if the author of that piece even realized or entertained the idea that trans woman are also subjected to a sexually cultural change, in that they are no longer treated as men, and therefore are no longer afforded "male privilege."  

Or if it would even have mattered.  After all, they're only women...

4 people like this

Posted

It's high time for all of these pubs to give face time to trans men. As far as their not giving their due to trans women in the article I wasn't perturbed since the article was focused on men. I think it's much better known that trans women can experience quite a shock at how they are treated by society as women. Thus far I haven't felt it much since I never felt like I really filled the space as a man anyway. And I'm loving how nice women are in general to me. It's like being part of a sisterhood that I didn't know existed and I don't miss any brotherhood that simply doesn't exist, at least not at all in the same way.

Did you also watch the video they have in the article (at the top)? I liked that, too. I'm envious that trans men seem to be able to blend into society (seemingly) much easier than trans women. If you've ever undergone electrolysis, man, you'd know what I mean. Oh, and then there is the voice work I'm doing! But I'm nonetheless pretty happy these days.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! 

2 people like this

Posted

So true nature is unkind to both - trans women get the better genitals if they opt for GCS, and of course they don't have to deal with scars on their chests.  On the flip side of that coin, though we're missing the right plumming... many trans men are rarely if ever noticed as anything but men.

I didn't mean to come off as ungrateful - I am glad to see more in the media about trans men.  And it's funny you mention that "sisterhood."  I've always known it existed - I just never understood it.  I'm not even sure I really know what it feels like or what the requirements are.  I do know, however, that any female past the age of the onset of puberty seems to sense that I don't belong.  It's very unsettling.

Best wishes to you also for a happy T-day...  :)

-Michael

3 people like this

Posted

Yes, I fully understand the feeling of not belonging. I’ve not felt that way with men. It sucks, that feeling. Very self-conscious, trying to act a role that doesn’t quite fit.

We both belong here and among our real friends who understand and love us authentically as our authentic selves.

3 people like this

Posted

Dear Mike and Emma,

Read the article and watched the video and was deeply moved.  Please, EVERYONE, please read and watch!

Your friend,

Monica

1 person likes this