Transgender Guide Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
entityfree

dumb relatives

I grew up with the same. Many of us did. It makes life very difficult when your family uses religion to support their ignorance. 

It isn't always that way. This video was recently posted on our Facebook page. It is the heartwarming story of a conservative, Catholic family's acceptance of their transgender son. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW8Plf_IXGs&feature=youtu.be

I'm wondering if you've talked with your family, or if that would make any difference. It is indeed a difficul t situation to be in and only you can determine how open you should be with them. Wishing you the best of luck. 

Edited by Lori
  • Like 2

Please watch this video of Dr. Mark Yarhouse, who is a psychologist and a religious scholar.  In this video his audience is comprised of church leaders. He does a terrific job of describing what gender dysphoria is and why people have trouble understanding. You might also ask your relatives to watch it. Better yet, watch it with them:

https://youtu.be/CMqiD_4KslA

• Like 2

i think catholic is cult, really all of christianity is.  the world should get over it.  but still there is the death penalty and soldiers though isnt there?  i think kindness is good though.
thats besides the point though, i want to find some information and dont really want to talk to relatives about it.  wi-fi kind of bothers me, havent seen video clips. i stopped talking to my parents. i told my sibling i was transgender and they said ''no your not'' and we went back and forth like that like children fighting. and they said something like god makes people male and female and not supposed to change that. so if i need clothes or records its a conversation i am afraid to have. i want to leave the usa.

havent seen the clip.  my relatives(i dont like to say family) are pretty hard to convince.  they are jehovahswitness. i could maybe get an intersex argument past them but it makes me upset to do that.  i want to be a free person, make my own choices about orientation and gender.  i dont like arguing ''i was born this way''.  if i am not doing anything wrong why should i have to? they think gay and transgender is wrong. i say what about black people, but that doesnt work because they arent racist. its really humiliating. but i hate doctors and police even more than religious cultists. i have been locked up enough times i would feel relieved if kimjungil(?) killed half of the usa. :-p i hope people vote third party next time.

I'm sorry to hear this. Hopefully, you have some trusted friends or maybe even extended family you can confide in. That won't change the difficulty with your immediate family but maybe it will make things more tolerable. 

Some people relocate to find a more suitable environment to transition, so that might be what you need to do. I'm not sure of your age or situation but wishing you all the best as you get things figured out. My advice is to try to prioritize your goals and then start addressing things one at a time -- hopefully with some support from friends or family. 

Kindness is good. :) 

• Like 2

Dear Entityfree,

When I lived in Tampa Bay (Clearwater, St. Petersburg and Tampa), there was a wonderful church called King of Peace MCC (Metropolitan Community Church) in St. Petersburg, that was totally inclusive towards everyone, especially the T/LGB community.  Was a greeter there.  Have heard some MCC churches were not as good as this one, but it is worth a try to visit the nearest ones you live.

Have also heard good things about Unity and Unitarian Churches.  Of course, each church varies.

Have been raised Catholic, and as a cisgender mid-butch Lesbian who happens to "look" like a Lesbian, I have encountered prejudice in the Catholic, as well as other churches, so I resonate with you.

Please do not confuse God with organized religion.  As my mother used to say, may God rest her soul, "Churches are HOSPITALS for sinners, not museums for saints."  Also, my mother said, "Churches are STAIRWAYS built by humankind, to reach God."

We ALL are injured souls, getting along the best we can.

Take the time to find the church that is a GOOD FIT, starting with researching on the Internet and in the library about the different religions and their beliefs.

Presently (and for decades), I have concluded organized religion is not right for me and that I am a spiritual woman with a Christian overlay.

Hopes this helps.

Your friend,

Monica

• Like 1