Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Basic Issues in Transgender Mental Health

5 posts in this topic

Posted

This is a pretty good summary of common issues we may face. 

Basic Issues in Transgender Mental Health

3 people like this

Posted

Dear Emma,

Thank you for bringing this up.

PLEASE, EVERYONE, MUST READING . . .

Your friend,

Monica

2 people like this

Posted

Looks like a good resource - though they do the same thing with Gender Dysphoria that the mental health profession loves to do so much, which is to disregard the impact of discrimination. They frame it as if the depression, anxiety and other effects are all caused by the internal dissonance when it's how you'll be received if you mess with traditional gender norms that causes so much of the problem.

3 people like this

Posted

I hear you, Chrissy. I think GD's description should be broken down into several parts, before, during, and after transition (regardless of ones' definition of transition). 

My transition is going pretty well, I think largely due to living in an area that seems to bend over backwards to be welcoming and friendly. I'm much happier in my own skin these days. And yet, I still experience my own flavor of GD, like yesterday when I met with a woman who is a make-up professional for a consult. I'm quite sure she has her own challenges in life but I envy her... <big sigh> 

2 people like this

Posted

From what I understand, pretty soon GD is going to be added medical diagnostic manuals and it will likely be removed from the DSM at that point, which I think is the way to go. That way, doctors can work with trans-identified people who want to pursue medical transitioning. On the mental health side we would then deal with the depression, anxiety, etc. that comes along with it for the individual. Those things are all caused by a host of issues, GD is one of the only ones that gets separated out which adds to the stigmatization. They also separate depression that is caused by substance use and by other health issues, but they don't individually break them out (for example, if you are depressed because you have cancer, it's depression linked to a medical condition, NOT depression linked to cancer).

2 people like this