Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Woman who founded trans beauty pageants becomes first known trans person killed in America this year

6 posts in this topic

Posted

What a way to start the year.  Another sickening, unnecessary loss.  The only good part (if any part at all can be good), is that from the various articles I've read so far, it doesn't appear that being trans had anything to do with this tragedy.  

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I agree Mike and as you say it is such a tragedy. Hopefully some good will come from her sacrifice. For example I'm glad not to find that the headline in the NYT doesn't add that she's the first trans woman to be murdered this year:

Husband Charged With Killing Transgender Pageant Founder

Edited by Emma
2 people like this

Posted

Hopefully that means one more entity is moving in the right direction - we need the support!

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

What a way to start the year.  Another sickening, unnecessary loss.  The only good part (if any part at all can be good), is that from the various articles I've read so far, it doesn't appear that being trans had anything to do with this tragedy.  

It makes me wonder though. So often, trans women are objectified just as cis women are. I can't help but think trans women are objectified even more and seen as disposable. I can't help but think she was perhaps treated differently (more violently) because she is transgender. We'll probably never know that, but as wrong is the objectification of women is, it is even worse for trans women. 

Edited by Lori
2 people like this

Posted

It makes me wonder though. So often, trans women are objectified just as cis women are. I can't help but think trans women are objectified even more and seen as disposable. I can't help but think she was perhaps treated differently (more violently) because she is transgender. We'll probably never know that, but as wrong is the objectification of women is, it is even worse for trans women. 

​You have a point there, Lori. I never thought about the situation from that angle.  So if that was the case, then in a somewhat indirect way, perhaps being trans did have something to do with her death.

Being back in chat, I see that objectification all the time, and also see that it is (or damn sure seems to be) at a higher degree - no doubt because, as you indicated, trans women apparently are thought of as disposable.  Bad part?  As much as it ticks me off when I see someone come into chat with that kind of attitude, I guess somewhere in the back of my mind, I didn't consider that could be the case here because they were a couple - and a married couple, at that.  But even among cisgender marriages, there are sometimes such issues.

-Mike

2 people like this