New Rule Allows Discrimination

7 posts in this topic

Posted

January 20, 2018
"Instead, the sweeping move, announced by the Department of Health and Human Services, appears to open the way for a doctor or nurse to turn away a transgender individual with a broken arm — for no other reason than by their gender identity."  -- bostonglobe.com

A new rule allows discrimination against transgender individuals for medical care

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

I wonder what happened that prompted this and suspect it’s from Trump. I’m just shaking my head, sad and frustrated.

Let’s see: three more years, that would be 2021. 2020 (an apt number) is something to look forward to, to see them excoriated in the primaries. They need to be run out of Washington on a rail.

Speaking of Trump and three years:

Is Trump Warping Our Sense of Time?

Edited by Emma
1 person likes this

Posted

This is going to spiral out into all areas of medicine I think.  What happens when a 'true christian' is required to treat what they perceive as a terrorist, just because he or she happens to be Muslim?  What about atheists?  This issue is so broad I imagine a LOT of nightmares are going to happen.  :(   Or cancer patients who want to choose their life and be their for their existing families when a pregnancy will kill them?  How will this affect plastic surgeries when there is a wide group of vocal people that 'god makes no mistakes, and man has not right to meddles with his choices'?    I dont' think they really considered the ramifications of this. 

An example of morality not belonging in medicine off the top of my head: the Ireland case where the woman was in full miscarriage, there was NO saving the fetus medically no matter what they did, they refused to perform an abortion because it was illegal and against the countries morals, and she died from septicemia from having the dead fetus in her.  

3 people like this

Posted

Excellent point Bree, thanks.

1 person likes this

Posted

OMG Nikki just told mr that poir womam wasmt even Irush she was just visiting.   Be careful where you vacation lestvit cost you your life I guess from something preventable i huess is that moral.             I wonder if a trans doctor refused to care for an anti-lgbt patient if they would also find protection under this law   i somehow doubt it   

1 person likes this

Posted

Wow, I must never try to type from my phone again.  *facepalm*

2 people like this

Posted

"I wonder if a trans doctor refused to care for an anti-lgbt patient if they would also find protection under this law"  -- Bree

You're probably right - it's likely the doctor wouldn't have a leg to stand on.  But people should consider this.  This is what happened to the late Robert Eads - he died of ovarian cancer because no [cisgender] doctor would treat him.  

Current events are no doubt rolling back advancements left and right.  It's sad that Drumpf's hatred of our previous president is so blinding, that he's willing (and without losing any sleep - obviously) to sacrifice the safety and well-being of so many people.  And PROUD of what he's doing, to boot!

It was apparently made illegal under Obama-care to discriminate against trans patients in federally funded healthcare programs... but is that still the case now with this "new rule?"

Here's an article from 2012 recounting several cases where care was either abruptly stopped or flat out denied when it was discovered that the patients were transgender.  And in the case of the late Jay Kallio, a diagnosis of breast cancer was kept from him due to transphobia, hatred, bigotry, ignorance.  Yes, you read that right - HE WAS NOT TOLD HE HAD CANCER!!

We could be returning to just such an era...

2 people like this