Transgender Guide Message Board
Dawn13

Pinterest and other social media

Recently I was on Pinterest with my own place using my name "Dawn."  I coded myself as Transgender.  I built a couple of boards - one called the "blur of gender" and another about feminine looking men and boys.  Two weeks ago I was kicked out of Pinterest.  I contested the action and the only reply I got was to read their rules; really.  Was it my boards? Did I misrepresent myself.  Was it a pin or pins I got from someone else that was considered offensive?   There is transgender info in Pinterest so I am confused to where I may have gone wrong. I sent a second request for clarification and so far no reply.  Does anyone have experience with Pinterest?  I really liked the site but think it might not be transgender friendly.  Dawn

• Like 2

That's too bad and, I think, a reason that people often have frustrations with internet sites. They can just ignore you. I'd suggest trying to find an address and send a "civil" letter to their CEO. Maybe it's some customer service person's judgment that needs adjustment.

• Like 2

Sometimes things happen and you just have to wonder. Frequently there is no explanation. Transgender people have had an awful time with Facebook.

• Like 3

I still have a FB account as Dawn - but I made it inactive.  I wonder if there are any sites besides this one that are really Transgender friendly.  Bonnie mentioned a few sites she uses.  Dawn

• Like 2

One option on Facebook is to create a page using your "real" profile. You can name the new Facebook page anything you want including a personal name. Authors and entertainers frequently use this feature. So, using a real Facebook account you create a page and name it something like "Cruella DeVille" and then you can like, comment and share things as your page rather than your real Facebook profile. ​

Facebook seems pretty comfortable with transgender topics even though they have not been understanding about the need for pseudonyms among the trans community. ​

Edited by Lori
  • Like 3

I can't help but think that someone "reported" your Pinterest boards...  someone so et up with bigotry and transphobia they felt it was their duty (and god-given right  <_<  ) to make sure that people like us don't destroy their little corner of the internet and don't infect the "normal people."    Happens on FB quite a bit - every time I turn around my g/f is telling me about gay men who have been bounced.   I see no reason to believe that Pinterest isn't the same.  I agree with Emma - write (snail mail) those people and [nicely] ask for an explanation.

::: grumbles :::

Just one more reason I don't do social media....

• Like 3

Friends,

Feel VERY UNSAFE on social media, no matter what they say. Seek out trusted websites such as TGGuide instead. Have been betrayed on social media many times.

Yours truly,

Monica

Dawn , Pinterest is honestly wayyyyyy more transphobic than Faceless Book ! I am on FB , but ONLY because I own a architectural building service . You can find me at Art Forms design on Face Book

• Like 2