Transgender Guide Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Emma

Is Being Transgender A Mental Illness?

Of course we know it's not. This short video explains it very clearly and succinctly:

Is Being Transgender A Mental Illness?

https://cdnapisec.kaltura.com/index.php/extwidget/preview/partner_id/2197371/uiconf_id/37028752/entry_id/0_aavgpc63/embed/dynamic

• Like 2

I'm a little troubled by the title though in relation to the video - it still seems like she might be saying that Gender Dysphoria is a "mental illness." GD is very likely on its way to being included as a medical diagnosis and removed from the DSM entirely, which would be awesome (it has to be in 1 or the other in order for insurance to cover medical transition costs). The DSM is also problematic because it makes it seem like it's all about internal distress, when so much of the issue for most people is the external distress - the bigotry and rejection that we face as a result of our gender identity.

• Like 4

I'm a little troubled by the title though in relation to the video - it still seems like she might be saying that Gender Dysphoria is a "mental illness." 

​I'm afraid I tend to agree. There was something bugging me that I couldn't put my finger on and maybe that was it. 

The DSM is also problematic because it makes it seem like it's all about internal distress, when so much of the issue for most people is the external distress - the bigotry and rejection that we face as a result of our gender identity.

​My mileage has varied. I suffered much much more from internal distress than external, at least after about age 7 or 8. Even as I came out it was the internal stress that caused me so much grief. Other people have, by and large, been delightful. I'm lucky to be living in the Seattle area.

• Like 3

It seems the title may be a "click bait" type headline. That isn't always a bad thing. It's just something journalists and video marketing people use to get more views. I agree though, I don't care for the title. 

Edited by Lori
  • Like 3