Transgender Guide Message Board
Blackangel

Polytheism In The Transgender Community. Does It Exist?

I am polytheistic. I "subscribe" to the Greek Gods and Goddesses. I personally serve Aphrodite directly. I swore an oath to Her when I was 17. I have suffered Her wrath before and lived to severely regret it. I even have a room in my house that is a temple to Her. I have tried looking for others that are polytheistic, but it's starting to seem that I am the only one. The Great Gods and Goddesses could offer a lot to our family, and help a lot of our brothers and sisters through their struggles. Ares possibly could help you with your inner wars. Aphrodite obviously could help you to learn to see your own beauty and to love yourself. And don't forget the gifts we received from Prometheus, and the punishment he is suffering for it.

• Like 1

Hi Blackangel... and welcome to TG Guide.

I was raised in the Episcopal church, but I began moving away from religion in my early 20s, and as I've aged, I've freed myself of any dependence on religion or any god(s) or goddess(es).  There are just too many holes in Christianity and other religions... though I think Christianity is by far, the sketchiest of all.  However, no matter my belief (or, disbelief), I respect how others believe as long as they don't try to cram their beliefs down my throat.

Religion is such a touchy subject, and in a country that alleges Christianity is the major religion, I can certainly understand why you are having trouble finding other polytheistic people.  There are surely other polytheistic trans people...but considering we ourselves are supposed to be such a small minority, that no doubt exacerbates your search.

Good luck.  I know it is always nice to be able to find like-minded people.

-Michael

• Thanks 2

I understand your stance towards Christianity. I was excommunicated at 3. I was in Sunday school and asked a question about god. that was it. Also since then people have gone out of their way to force the bible down my throat. So my opinion on the entire religion would need words that I'm sure I can't use here. If that's what someone else wants to believe, that's fine with me. Just keep your zealotry in your head. That goes for all religions, not just Christians.

I have dabbled in a bit of religious study as a bit of a minor hobby for a long time. I've studied Christianity (both Catholicism and Protestantism), Buddhism, Satanism, Luciferianism, General Paganism, Wicca, a bit of Islam, and even a bit of Devil worship. Not because I believe in said religion, just because I'm curious. Right now I'm checking out Judaism. I just like to know what people believe and possibly why. Why because is it all you were taught? Is it the only religion you know of? Is it truly what you believe? Are you just lost and grasping at the first thing you were offered? Or any other reason.

I can sort of relate to your studying various religions - I don't study them, but I do enjoy watching documentaries.  The stories are interesting, and of course, often explain how and why so many religions developed, and the need for so many people to have some entity bigger than themselves to believe in.  It seems the belief in such has existed nearly as long as man has existed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not going to name names, but according to my own personal research, the oldest established religion, out of all that still exist today, is around 20,000 years old. If I remember correct that is before even the last ice age hit. So something tells me that the people that follow that religion have something good going on as a people.

• Like 1

Hi BlackAngel, i actually think interesting you a Greek pagan. Do you have Greek or Italian heritage? Just curious, i think it’s fine if not.

Im actually a Catholic but I guess I pick and choose somethings I believe and don’t. But anyway I don’t like it when people force their religions on people too. I can’t beleive somebody excommunicated you at the age of 3, they sound like scary people, what sect of Christianity was it?

i was just curious how do you feel about https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermaphroditus 

Hermaphroditus? Would that be a suitable deity for trans and intersex people to pray to?

Also out of curiousity, I always wondered how this works in polytheism, but do polythiests beleive that’s different cultures have different gods that overwatch that culture, or that each god in one culture is analogues to a another god and they are the same thing with a different name? Or that only your own culture’s pantheon is the existing one and others are nonexistent.

hope that didn’t sound too interrogative, I just would like to learn and other stand different religions than my own.

what I think though is that you are a decent and good person, so no matter what religion has truth in it, I think you deserve a good happy life(and afterlife)

Dear Blackangel, SpeedMetal, and Mike,

Please do not confuse religion with having a relationship with a Higher Power. 

Religion is humankind's effort to have a relationship with a Higher Power. It is a human-made effort.

Am not a member of any kind of organized religion, but I try not to throw my Higher Power out with the bathwater.

Am sure the Higher Power is pleased with your efforts to get to know them.

It has been my experience that the Higher Power meets people where they are at.

Am sure I will meet all of you in the afterlife!

Your friend,

Monica

• Like 2

SpeedMetal - I can't say yes or no to Hermaphroditus. It's not my place to say who you should or should not pray to. What I can say is pray to who or what you need to so that you can make it through your day.

I have no Greek or Italian heritage that I'm aware of. Germany is the closest geographically that I have a heritage. The rest is Irish and Scottish Celt.

If you're referring to the Romans and the Greeks, the Romans actually adopted the Greek religion and renamed all the Gods, Goddesses, titans, and minor deities.

If you were to compare say, the Egyptians and the Greeks, there's a lot of debate there. I personally believe the Gods the Greeks (and myself) worship are the same as the ones the Egyptians worshipped. But that the Gods simply revealed themselves differently to the different cultures. But whether any 2 religions believe in the same deities or not, names be damned, religion has caused more bloodshed than anything in human history. That's religion, not the higher power.

As for when I was excommunicated, it was the Roman Catholic church.

With the afterlife, I believe that as long as I have the ability to pay Charon to ferry me across the river, I won't go to Tartarus or the Aleutian Fields. I believe I'll be brought to the Great Goddess' palace to continue serving Her.

• Like 2

Monica - I agree. Religion for the most part is humanities attempt to understand the world bigger than themselves. Unfortunately there are many who use it as an excuse for cruelty and hate. Religion is fine if it's what you truly believe and allow others the same right. But once you start the condemnation, you are the one that lost not only that battle, but the entire war.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a lot to say about this topic, unfortunately my battery is low so I’ll just blog about it. 😘 peace  

• Like 2

Dear Blackangel,

My mother used to say, "churches are hospitals for sinners, not museums for saints."

Hope everyone here finds a supportive community.

Your friend,

Monica

my name here anunitu is a Sumerian goddess name the goddess of birth and war. and a precursor to many other goddess' Astarte for one

• Like 1

I doubt that being a witch has caused an issue.  There have been other members declare their status as witch.

There could be any number of reasons why no one has commented - one of which could be there are no other "strega" witches, so no one would have anything to relate to in order to further discussion.

Additionally, you might note that this thread was begun in August 2018.  After several posts, it went dormant until it was revived by a new member who happened to run across it in January 2019.

Take heart - lack of interest or reply does not mean something is wrong.  😉

All is good, just look at dates on posts and dates between response from others, it does become a bit tricky when an old post re springs and goes dead again. 

the genis bottle thing was interesting but kind of not my style i live in the here and now or as  said before be here NOW rom dos said that

It's all good just go with the flow and you'll see it all work out fine.

Take care and enjoy the forum.