Transgender Guide Message Board
Blackangel

An odd thing about shoes

Since I was a teen I have worn a mes size 13 shoes. But one thing really weird is that a womens size 11 fits me just fine. By comparison I should be wearing a womens 15. I don't get what's going on here, but I like it. It's easier to find shoes in the smaller size. I wanted to post this for the other girls with big feet. You may be like me and able to wear a size that you never would have thought possible. It's worth noting to me.

• Like 1

Marketing.  Men's clothing and shoes tend to be labeled in sizes that actually mean something with inches and such, like a size 40 jean is a 40 inch waist.  (and hence have a simpler time shopping and ordering online in general, although we're starting to see this marketing trick in men's clothes on occasion now also).  Women's clothing is marketed to us in terms that are meant to appeal to our vanity, like sizes 0 and 1 and 2 etc. etc.  This goes on with shoes too, hence why your expectation of the woman's size is off.  It gets more fun that there is zero standardization of the vanity sizing, and different manufacturers mean different things in both regular and plus sizes.  

• Thanks 1

I knew about the clothing sizes. i wore a 42x34 jeans before I started transition. Now I'm in a size 16 or 18 depending on the jeans themselves. Tops I need at least a 4x. But the shoes really surprised me. But hey at least I'm able to find cute shoes. Now if I could only find those boots I wanted.....

• Like 1

The marketing industry is a truly monstrous machine that looks for every chink to get our dollars.   And it's annoying, I can't shop online for shoes at all have to try them on as I wear 8 and a half to 9 and a half depending on the manufacture and cut of the shoe.  Which is just silly. 

• Like 2

I wear a size 11 1/2 to 12 in men's shoes I haven't yet found a women's size that fits me since I have wide feet. I have measured and it seems be a size 13 in women's shoes if they actually are correct in measurements. There isn't any place around where I live that carries sizes that large for women. I did order a pair of boots and will be here before too long. We shall see if they actually fit. If not they have a good return policy. Anyways I will keep you updated. 

• Like 1

Have you treid 13w?  They make 'wide width' for women but that is also a subjective term to the manufacturer.  X_X  I have a stupid problem with an unnaturally high top part of my foot, which really limits my options since there's not much you can do about bone other than break it and hope you can reshape it how you want, and I'd rather just deal with limited shoe options than that.  LOL Bree is whimpy.   But wide width I would definitely recommend looking around trying things on.  Nikki is a size 13 in men, and a 12 to 14 depending on the manufacturer in women's, and while the selection is not HUGE we do tend to find some things at Payless and Shoe Sensation if you have those in your area.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I just got my first pair of Womens boots in and omg they are so cute and fit me perfect. I ordered a women's size 13 us size and I love them. They are so me.😍😁

• Like 1

20180828_005708.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/25/2018 at 10:40 PM, Briannah said:

Have you treid 13w?  They make 'wide width' for women but that is also a subjective term to the manufacturer.  X_X  I have a stupid problem with an unnaturally high top part of my foot, which really limits my options since there's not much you can do about bone other than break it and hope you can reshape it how you want, and I'd rather just deal with limited shoe options than that.  LOL Bree is whimpy.   But wide width I would definitely recommend looking around trying things on.  Nikki is a size 13 in men, and a 12 to 14 depending on the manufacturer in women's, and while the selection is not HUGE we do tend to find some things at Payless and Shoe Sensation if you have those in your area.  

Thanks I do have those in my area. I have not tried 13 W I have gone to payless shoes before and the ones in my area really have almost nothing for wide width or larger sizes. Its like they expect all women to have small feet around here. It's really kinda frustrating. Even Cis-Gendered women don't all have small feet. Anyways I found my boots on wish.com they have a lot of things in there for transgender woman and probably because most everything comes from Asia and the culture is very different in that part of the world. The stuff is very inexpensive and really most everything that I have got has been great quality. You do have to really use measurements and be careful though because some things are in Asian sizes which run like a couple of sizes small. But the boots I got really run true to size. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 11:43 AM, Mikaylajane79 said:

Thanks I do have those in my area. I have not tried 13 W I have gone to payless shoes before and the ones in my area really have almost nothing for wide width or larger sizes. Its like they expect all women to have small feet around here. It's really kinda frustrating. Even Cis-Gendered women don't all have small feet. Anyways I found my boots on wish.com they have a lot of things in there for transgender woman and probably because most everything comes from Asia and the culture is very different in that part of the world. The stuff is very inexpensive and really most everything that I have got has been great quality. You do have to really use measurements and be careful though because some things are in Asian sizes which run like a couple of sizes small. But the boots I got really run true to size. 

Thank you Mikaylajane!!! I had never heard of wish.com but decided to check it out on a whim after you mentioned it. I found a pair of boots that I have been looking for, for years!! If you hadn't mentioned it, I may never have found them THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blackangel said:

Thank you Mikaylajane!!! I had never heard of wish.com but decided to check it out on a whim after you mentioned it. I found a pair of boots that I have been looking for, for years!! If you hadn't mentioned it, I may never have found them THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your very welcome. Yes that site is great and it can be very addictive lol. 

• Thanks 1