Transgender Guide Message Board
Blackangel

Not sure how to solve this

I have a problem that I need advice/help on. As many of you know I have a 2 year old macaw. His name is Dante's Inferno, but we just call him Dante. I absolutely love him.

Here's the problem. My mental state is deteriorating along with my physical state due mostly to my MD. When he decides to go into a screeching fit I can't handle it. I've been trapped in separate rooms and paralyzed when in the same room as him. Sometimes it's not a problem. Just annoying. But give him a raw unshelled peanut and he's happy. But for the rest of the time it's crippling. I'm not sure what to do.

I do need to say that giving him up is absolutely NOT an option. I love him too much. And my wife does too.

IMG_2228.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When he presents undesirable behaviors do you give him a peanut to quite him? 

• Like 1

No, we don't reward bad behavior.

• Like 3

Hope this helps.
I know I have to exercise my dog or she won't leave me alone. You can also try a brain game for him to stimulate him mentally. A ball that he has to figure out how to get the treats out of.

Boredom, illness, injury, lack of exercise, or simply as an expression of joy are all reasons for vocalizations in parrots. If birds are left alone too often or for too long, they can start to scream because they have nothing else to do, and because it usually gets a human in the room to pay attention to them.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dear Blackangel,

Had cockatiels and parakeets in the past and they brought me great joy.

Don't have any pets due to a $250.00 non-refundable pet fee, even for a single one ounce parakeet.

May I ask, do you frequently speak to your bird? Also, does your bird have plenty of toys in their cage? Do you pet your bird? Does your bird have a lot of "out of cage" time?

Must confess, I am afraid of large birds. Also, a former neighbor, may G_D rest her soul, had a large parrot that screamed a lot and hated women (it was her husband's bird). Am assuming your bird is comfortable living with two women, and I wonder if your bird dislikes male visitors. Does it scream when you have visitors of the opposite sex?

Have you searched the Internet and YouTube about this?

Pets are so healing, and we all are cheering you on in resolving this.

Your friend,

Monica

• Like 2

He is out of his cage 24/7. We have a small tree that he plays on a lot. He loves to headbang with me. He'll do a couple hits and wait for me, then he'll do a couple more, and so on. He also says "hello" repeatedly while we're doing it. 

He has only recently warmed up to me. We got him before I began my transition, and that was when we learned that he hates men. He has literally ripped me open several times. So I'm unable to really handle him much, because he doesn't fully see me as a woman yet. But we're making progress.

We would put him in his cage at night but there's a problem with that. He's smarter than us. He has taken his cage apart. His last one had to be kept together with chain, and this one he has taken the panels off and the latch on his cage door. So we just said screw it and let him out. 

He has toys, but there's a problem there too. He hates anything hanging on his cage. We have to use padlocks and he still manages to get them off his cage most of the time. 

He's best friends with my pitbull. Odd combination, I know. He loves cartoons, and he loves calling me an a*****e.

He bonded with my wife instantly. Technically he was supposed to be my bird, but that sure isn't how it turned out. But I also have a conure that bonded with me instantly. She's actually meaner than Dante. The only one she likes is me. She'll attack anyone else.

We have some very strange companions, but neither my wife nor I can imagine life without them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Good lord he’s smart! You should put him to work. Sounds like he needs a job. Lol. Maybe a safe cracker. Or a jewelry thief. 😂. Well I hope it gets better for you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1