Transgender Guide Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Blackangel

Man is denied medical coverage during double mastectomy

Dashir Moore is a man living in Colorado. He moved there from Atlanta because he was under the impression that Colorado was a very open place to the transgender community. He found nothing but discrimination.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/lgbt-rights/transgender-rights/i-moved-colorado-freedom-transgender-man-instead-i-found

• Sad 1

So many companies record phone transactions between representatives and clients/customers.  If this company does, Moore's surgery should be covered simply because the dim-wits on the other end of the phone said it was.

Seems there's more to this also because today, medical facilities and hospitals know what requires authorization and what doesn't.  They also know what companies require that patients get authorization.   Moore does not indicate there were any issues or questions on the part of the hospital and surgeon(s).   That makes it sound like all was good to go.   It is the job of the hosptial admitting staff to make sure all these things are in order.  How'd Moore's surgery slip through the cracks there too?

I hope the ACLU can help Moore (AND teach one more bigot company a lesson)...sounds like the screws were stuck to him all the way around.

• Thanks 2

There's a couple more stories about his case on the ACLU website. Due to his being railroaded by the insurance he wasn't able to save his best friend and companion. His bulldog needed surgery, and since he couldn't pay he had to watch him die. That's just cruel. If I was him I would look into suing that insurance company.

• Thanks 1

I have a personal acquaintace who works in the health insurance industry who asked HOW something like this could happen.  Their thought is, if the procedures were not covered, thus not requiring pre-authorization, why is it this info wasn't or couldn't have been imparted to Moore.  That UMR contacted Moore's employer after the fact, makes me believe that someone realized they (UMR) made a mistake, and they were covering their tracks.

In my opinion, if it was a case of the UMR rep not knowing, or was not experienced, or not paying attention to the case at hand, I still say UMR should "man up," so-to-speak, cover Moore's surgery and compensate him in some way (though it will never erase or ease the hurt) for the loss of his dog.

• Thanks 1

If it was my dog, I would sell my soul to save her. There's nothing I wouldn't part with to save her life.