Transgender Guide Message Board
anunitu

trans hero breaks ranks

and i had thought i was through wondering how deep this world i live in goes and me with no recent maps

anyone have a clue where we are in this subjective reality

does it ever become clear what and who we are or are again becoming?

It's been said that if you meet a transgender person you've met one transgender person. In other words, being trans and living authentically is a different journey and experience for everyone. No different than, say, cisgender men or women. 

The media is always on the hunt for interesting, controversial, and unusual stories to seduce readers. So it's no surprise that people like Shupe are receiving more attention than, perhaps, they deserve. They're certainly not speaking for me and I'd agree that narratives like their's muddies the water for all if us. Shupe is trying to navigate their life as best they can and from my perspective, being non-binary is a much larger challenge than being more binary male or female. 

So, except for their hurling opinions about the military's ban on trans people, treatment of trans children, and so forth, I am happy ignoring people like them. When needed it's pretty easy to defeat their grandstanding, opinions, and statements. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i do know that things for me personally are shifting,and i am not as sure of just where it is leading,i had thought that was all over but i guess age changes you even more than gender issues do. being older is a another sub group from the main pack of human society.

this might be another aspect to consider the ageing and the trans person,what to expect as you grow older even after gcs, how does your vision of yourself change as you age,this effects all people no matter their place in human society are elders respected or dismissed as obsolete and not in some ways now less than a full person not relevant at all?

question how has your age effected your journey on this long path to your truth,has it colored your expression of your public self? and has it effected your perception of other trans people? i think we carry our own prejudices inside there has been said gay men and women might have homophobic thoughts embedded in their own mind it has been studied i think, i had a male friend who hated himself for being gay even when his friends and family fully accepted him, he drank very heavy in order to live with his attractions to other men

this could become important for we older trans people.
https://protecttranshealth.org/
as we age things change not always for the better

some of these things could determine life and death for we older transgender people

health care and mental health care may not understand who we are and who we were before we were the we now

your experience please with positive or negative health care in understanding your journey and needs right now

please post about any issues you have run into as an older trans person,and how you coped with these issues with health care professionals who did not know what to think or that had no idea of your needs. and mental health and its effects on our aging process.

i am 72 and starting to have to deal with these issues, and i am at times avoiding medical intervention because of a fear of not being understood as a trans person by medical professionals

perhaps list your concerns about your future health issues?

what does it mean to be an elder trans person in our society?

mods this may be a bit disjointed please perhaps help bring some order to this issue and find resource for the issue of ageing while trans this will become a major issue as we trans people move into our "golden years"

• Like 1

i will soon be looking to mental health resources because i am experiencing depressive issues about being older and non binary(not what i want) and i will admit i have had thoughts of ending my life come up off and on,but that has been an ongoing issue for me for many years, coming from social issues would i take steps in that direction? i have searched out painless ways to transcend this mortal coil, so i know the ways to leave,if i consider them as an actual path is yet to be decided i have prayed to my goddess on this and hope she understands my need to leave

i had to fight to find a reason to get up this morning,i have not talked to a flesh and blood person for over 2 weeks if the social; worker decides to call, that will be good,but they have other things to concern themselves with,thing right now if i were to die here i most likely would not be found for several weeks,they the social worker said they would get me a wireless pendent to push a button if i were having trouble, but the last time i ended up in the hospital it was just pure chance i was found and taken to the emergency room and spent almost 4 weeks in hospital,and another 6 weeks in a rehab facility and i am still regaining my full strength from a stroke and the diabetic  reaction i did not know i had,they said my blood sugar was 900, and they said i should have died,i was in a coma for a week as they tried bringing me back i was aware of their efforts but did not want to return from the soft place i was in,them they used the paddles to force me back,and i felt angry, and was weak as a baby for about two weeks with hypodermic needles in both arms i think that was for feeding or re-hydration then they kept asking if i knew where i was,and i had no idea. was bed ridden for the next 4 weeks until i transferred to the rehab, in retrospect i wish i had not survived the ordeal.

• Confused 1

Dear Anunitu,

You have brought up a great question, "aging while trans."

There is excellent organization, called SAGE, for elder T/LGBs.

They operate a warmline, (NOT a crisis line):  1-888-234-7243

Mon - Fri:  4 PM - 12 Midnight

Sun:  12 Noon - 5 PM

About social workers . . . I have a medical social worker. In Florida, I had a visiting medical social worker. My first visiting medical social worker was a Gaymale, and he was the best! 

Realize that it is not easy to "fire" a social worker, because there are not many to choose from, as in aides, so you are forced to accept the one assigned to you. 

What I do before seeing ANY professional, no matter what kind, is write down a list of my concerns, questions, and requests. Try to make the most of the little time they have to spend with you.

Your friend,

Monica